GOWrite 2 is great tool for creating GO diagrams for various types of publication, including books, PDF files, WWW pages and other online media. This chapter explains technical issues in creating publications.
Two main categories can be recognized: purely online material (WWW pages, Wiki pages) and material also suited for printing (books, PDF files). These are quite different, so separated chapters are written about making material for printing and making online material.
GOWrite can produce graphics in various formats. When selecting format, please consider its support in all tools used, as tools may have surprising limitations.
For actual writing and typesetting work, there is additional help.
In most cases GOWrite should be used to create graphics needed and some publishing tool (such as QuarkXPressTM or Scribus) or word processor (such as Microsoft(r) Word) should be used to produce final result. GOWrite does not try to offer tools for making publication layouts, but it produces excellent graphics for use in publishing tools.
Two main approaches give efficient workflow: Clipboard (copy and paste) and Export (export all diagrams in file).
It is easy to start with clipboard. However if making long book with lots of diagrams, it may be worthwhile to learn how to use exporting in the beginning.
Clipboard works with bitmap formats (all platforms) and with Windows Metafile (WMF) in Windows.
- Use of clipboard is easy way to start, as it makes leaning easy.
- Fast experimentation with diagrams.
- If diagrams must be re-created later on, clipboard is clumsy.
- Use of clipboard is restricted by supported platforms and supported formats.
Export all diagrams in file
Command export -> all diagrams, creates all diagrams in SGF file. Depending on format, each diagram may be own file, or all diagrams may be included in one file.
With SVG and ODG (OpenDocument) formats all diagrams can be in one file. This may avoid opening each diagram one by one in layout program making work faster.
- Exporting all diagrams at once can be very effective, when work set up is done at start.
- Exporting ensures that all diagrams are easy to re-create if needed for any reason.
- Exporting all diagrams is not limited by platform or format.
- Use of exporting requires bit more planning, set up and thus also learning.
- If work processor cannot detect and refresh changes graphics files, updating must be manually handled.