Starting GOWrite: No GOWrite window at all

Various tips, tricks and known issues

Moderator: lpaatero

lpaatero
Go liiton hallitus

Starting GOWrite: No GOWrite window at all

Post by lpaatero »

If GOWrite does not start properly, one can try to rename configuration file. This configuration file is created when GOWrite starts first time, so if GOWrite has never started, file is not there.

If you find that renaming configuration file may have helped in getting GOWrite to start, please send offending configuration file to me, so that I can take a look at it, and remove root cause to problem.

Finding GOWrite 2 (2.2 version and later) configuration file

GOWrite 2.2 Configuration file gowrite22.cfg location depends on operating system. GOWrite 2 puts configuration file to home directory as defined by Java runtime environment.
  • * In Windows 95,98 and ME this is \Windows\.gowrite directory.
    * In Linux this is ~/.gowrite.
    * In Windows NT/2000/XP it is users profile directory, something like \Documents and Setting\name\.gowrite
It may be possible that old GOWrite 2.1 or 2.0 configuration file may prevent GOWrite 2.2 from starting. However I have not seen this ever.

Finding GOWrite 2 (2.0 and 2.1 versions) configuration file

GOWrite 2 Configuration file gowrite.cfg location depends on operating system. GOWrite 2 puts configuration file to home directory as defined by Java runtime environment.

In GOWrite 2.0 and 2.1 deleting configuration info also also deletes registration info, so you will need to re-enter it to remove "Not Registered" text.
  • * In Windows 95,98 and ME this is \Windows directory.
    * In Linux this is ~.
    * In Windows NT/2000/XP it is users profile directory, something like \Documents and Setting\name
Windows specific problems

Faulty display drivers are most common reason that prevents GOWrite start in Windows. Problem is often seen with drivers for ATI video cards. These drivers seem to be rather poor quality, and only very recent drivers seem to work well. This problem has three alternative solutions:
  • * Install updated display drivers for your display card, or
    * Install current java 1.4.2 or later (1.5). These contain work-around for bug.
    * In GOWrite 2 installation select "Custom" and "Tweak GOWrite" option and disable use of directX (GOWrite 2.1.00 and later).