compatibility with Windows 7

Reporting and discussion about bugs.

Moderator: lpaatero

zengarden

compatibility with Windows 7

Post by zengarden »

Hi

I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to download and operate Gowrite with Windows 7. Several different error messages come up when I try to run Gowrite, including "no usable JVM found" or missing MSVCR71.dll file. Gowrite works fine with Windows XP on my Notebook. Am I doing something wrong or is there an incompatibility problem here?
lpaatero
Go liiton hallitus

Re: compatibility with Windows 7

Post by lpaatero »

GOWrite makes effort to load Java's own copy of library for Java. In past this has worked, and error has not been present.
So something is now different, and to solve problem, we need to start check number of things.
Number of basic question:
  • - Which Windows 7 version you are using? (32/64bit, starter, pro, etc)
    - Java version? ("java -version" output from command line)
    - Which GOWrite version you have installed?
Based on these, I can check if I can easily re-produce problem.

regards
Lauri
zengarden

Post by zengarden »

Hi Lauri

Regarding your questions, my answers are as follows:

- Which Windows 7 version you are using? (32/64bit, starter, pro, etc): Answer I am using a brand new Toshiba Satellite laptop and there is a notice underneath the laptop describing the system installed as "Windows 7 Home premium OA". Is this sufficient information for you

- Java version? ("java -version" output from command line): Answer JAVA 6 Update 30

- Which GOWrite version you have installed?: Answer Gowrite version 2.3.44

I hope you can resolve this problem!

Kind regards

Philip
lpaatero
Go liiton hallitus

Post by lpaatero »

Hi,

This problem is very unclear to me.

Did you install Java yourself, or was it pre-installed in machine?

Background: In past I have heard about strange problems with pre-installed Java. I do not know root cause of these problems.

- Lauri
zengarden

Post by zengarden »

Hi

I downloaded Java from the Gowrite site as recommended. I have Java 6 Update 30 installed. The Java I have installed works with KGS software, so it strange it is not working with Gowrite.

Hope you can help!

Philip
lpaatero
Go liiton hallitus

Post by lpaatero »

Hi,

One more question:
is file C:\program files\Java\jre6\bin\MSVCR71.dll
present in your machine?

If this file is present, then it seems I must create test executable and send it to you.

regards
Lauri
zengarden

Post by zengarden »

Good morning Lauri

I think you may have spotted the problem. I remember getting the error message that the file MSVCR71.dll is missing. Perhaps you could recommend a safe source for the file to be downloaded from the Web? I will then try to run it and see if that makes Gowrite function normally.

All best

Philip
lpaatero
Go liiton hallitus

Post by lpaatero »

Please do not add the file manually. There are multiple potential problems if file is (for example) older version.

This file should be part of Java, and really should be at the location in posting. So please could you check if file is really there.

If file is not present, it is change in Java, and I must work out how Java is now configured.
If file is present, I need to test why gowrite cannot load it as it should.

- Lauri
zengarden

Post by zengarden »

Good evening Lauri

This is beginning to turn into a saga...

I have re-downloaded Gowrite2 as per instructions. First I was prompted to download Java, and the programme checked what Java version I had loaded and told me I had the correct Java 6 correctly installed. However, when I then tried to run Gowrite2 I had downloaded, I received an error message "Java runtime environment missing" and a request to install JRE etc. So there must be something going wrong in the package of software somewhere. What is odd is that my Notebook and old laptop where I have Windows XP running have no problem with Gowrite. It appears to be some mis-matching with Windows 7. (By the way, I have no problem accessing the KGS which requires Java 6.)

I am not very proficient with software so hope you can find a solution, although I appreciate it must be difficult to do this if you don't have access to my new Laptop and cannot see how the programmes are configured and loaded.

Looking forward to your advice.

All best and many thanks

Philip
lpaatero
Go liiton hallitus

Post by lpaatero »

Hi,

I cannot really resolve problem with available information.

Things you could try:
  • * Uninstall Java and install Java again.
    * ask someone experienced with computer to look at the problem (show this discussion thread to him.)
regards
Lauri