Custom Labels for Multiple Intersections

Reporting and discussion about bugs.

Moderator: lpaatero

gwport

Custom Labels for Multiple Intersections

Post by gwport »

GW 2.3.41 or 2.3.37 or 2.3.36. DirectX_disabled under W7/64b/Prof/German.

Under earlier versions (might have been around 2.2.20?), custom labels for multiple intersections worked correctly. Now it does not work at all.

Currently (not) working methods:
- I do not know any working method for custom labelling more than one intersection simultaneously.
- I do not know any working direct method for custom labelling exactly one intersection.
- I know of only one working indirect method for custom labelling exactly one intersection: Choose either the ABC automatic label tool or the OK-? custom label tool, then double-click on the intersection. The first click of that double click sets an automatic label on the intersection. The second click of that double click then opens a pop up box for modifying the label by replacing the automatic label by some custom label.

This is what commands should do if working properly:
- ABC tool button, then click on intersection(s): automatic label
- Mark one or several intersections (by select tool or by right-clicking intersections), then choose ABC tool button: automatic label
- OK-? tool button, then click on intersection(s): custom label
- Mark one or several intersections (by select tool or by right-clicking intersections), then CTRL L: custom label
- Right-click intersection, then choosen CTRL L command: custom label

Explaining definitions:
- Automatic label = automatic increment of letters
- Custom label = pop up box "Enter custom label" asks the user for entering any label of his choice (note that no automatic label should appear before because that is nothing but confusing; setting a new label is not modifying an already existing label)

Compromise:
- If some users should already be used to be abused new usage of the CTRL L shortcut, then please use another shortcut like CTRL M for custom labels.

Comments:
- At some time, you seem to have lost / swapped the pointers to the custom label function or between automatic label function and custom label function.
- That the OK-? tool button has the same effect as the ABC tool botton is a clear indication that it is a bug rather than a featured design change.
- Having no way to custom label several marked intersections simultaneous is a great loss for users using custom labels excessively! It can prolong markup work by a factor proportional to the number of same-labelled intersections.
- The change from custom label to modify automatic label addes extra confusion.
- I strongly hope that it has been only a programming accident and not an intended cut-down of essential features!
robert jasiek
lpaatero
Go liiton hallitus

Re: Custom Labels for Multiple Intersections

Post by lpaatero »

Posting seems to assume a lots of things which are simply not true. Right now I do not have time to go thru all of it; If I have time later I will try to.

Quick test in 2.3.41:

Type desired label into edit box after "next label".
Deselect increment checkbox belox it.
Select OK/? tool.
Click to intersection(s) to add label.
Select area, and then press ctrl-L.

As result desired label is in multiple locations.

- Lauri
gwport

Re: Custom Labels for Multiple Intersections

Post by gwport »

Many thanks for the hints! Now I know the (new?) method of custom labels for multiple intersections.

The old methods, which I expected and have mentioned earlier, do not work any longer and it did not occur to me that the drop-down box after "Next label:" would also be an editing field. It is not what one expects as a Windows user from what looks like a drop-down box.

Selecting the OK/? tool is not necessary. Any tool can be selected, it seems.

Since the thing is so hard to discover, I will write an explanation in the Tips&Tricks forum.
robert jasiek