New preview of GOWrite 2.3 is now available. This version (2.3.2) add new features, and fixes relatively minor bugs.
I am still developing this, but this development version is already quite useful. I am using it myself.
Any feedback is most welcome.
Keyboard navigation in game has changed! keys are now
- * left / right - move in in game; do no change active variation.
* Down / up - Move in game and select active variation.
* Enter / space + - read all of file thru (- key goes backwards).
Pay attention to game information. Internal changes in game information handling are quite big. New implementation mangles with game information quite a lot, and any problems in this would be important to detect.
Preview ignores settings from gowrite 2.2 versions. Thus game search database must be configured again for first preview.
- Changes in keyboard navigation of gametree. GOWrite now remebers "current" variation and indicates it in tree.
- OpenDocument export for diagrams and comments. Makes easy to create small high quality PDF files using OpenOffice.
- New icons (and icon resolutions) for application and SGF files. Scalable SVG icons for linux.
- Better main screen layout for small screens, such as Acer Aspire One.
- Faster search in multi-processor machines: up to 4 processor should give considerable speedup and up to 8 are used.
- GOWrite can now read UGF (.UGI) files.
- Improvements in game information presentation and entry.
- Improvements in font selection, and international font and text layout support. Now font exporting should work more predictably.
- Various less visible improvements and bug-fixes.
Installation and platform integration
- Linux installer and integration improved. Aspire one desktop icon creation using script.
- Mac OS X integration is new, and requires OS X 10.4. Thumbnail viewer is also included, this requires OS X version 10.5.
- Windows installer simplified (from users point of view...). Version should work on Windows 2000 and later.
- Java 1.5 or later.
Things still in future:
- More graphics settings in more accessible ways
- Better ways to use editing tools
- New gametree; Keyboard navigation changes relate to this, but actual new tree may take a while.
- Thumbnail viewer for KDE4 is soon ready.